Why 80 Proof?
If I took an internet quiz about what drink I would be, I’m positive it would be vodka. We both make things more fun, and just like all the vodka I’ve drank in my day, I’ve improved with age. You all know what i’m talking about – you start with the cheap plastic bottle of vodka that causes third-degree burns in your esophagus, but is affordable on your ramen noodle college budget. Then you graduate to the expensive vodka that comes in a glass bottle and doesn’t instantly knock you out with bad memories the second you smell it; the adult vodka that you pour in an actual glass and sip. I’d like to think that I have matured alongside of my vodka. And metaphors aside, it tastes really good.
Because I’m a bad ass social justice warrior. Or at the very least I’m someone with an overwhelming amount of compassion who cries a lot when I see people in pain, which I can’t ignore so I always try to do something about it.
Also, I will never stop dressing up as every female warrior character in every fictional movie ever made.
Welcome to my new space on the internet. My original intent in starting a blog was to create cohesive branding for all of my businesses and projects, but has evolved into a new creative outlet for me. I am hoping from here on out that my social media pages, my photography, my other businesses and my personal life work together harmoniously as I share, rant, rave, and show off all the things that matter to me.
Here is what you can expect from me moving forward:
- Humor. I’m sarcastic and love to laugh. I’m everyone’s least favorite person to go to the movies with because I’m super embarrassing. You might not think I’m funny, but I think I’m funny.
- A glimpse into my personal life. Well, maybe more than a glimpse. I have made a resolution to be more transparent this year, in hopes to encourage others who may be going through similar situations. I will be raw, vulnerable and emotional. We will laugh together, cry together, and share in this shit-show called life.
- Inappropriate language. I’ll try to keep this to a minimum. I tried a swear jar at home once but it was short-lived because the jar made $20 in two days.
- Photography. I have a photography blog that I update maybe once a year because I never have time. Plus I never use my good camera to capture my kids and day-to-day life, which I would like to start doing. Hopefully this blog will encourage that.
- rePURPOSE. As many of you know, I have poured almost four years of blood, sweat and tears into a business where I make ZERO dollars. I donate 100% of the profits to fight against human trafficking. I couldn’t have done it without the help of some amazing volunteers, who last year either moved or got new jobs and are no longer able to help. We took another big blow when we were forced to vacate our business/workshop location, leaving our supplies and inventory stored in two separate basements. Lack of a workshop space meant lack of new products and production. I almost gave up, but instead I am using this blog site as a chance to restructure and give rePURPOSE a much-needed overhaul and facelift. My blog platform comes with an ecommerce plugin, so my plan is to fully integrate my rePURPOSE shop with this site. I will downsize the products and focus on a few select items. This should save me time, money and hopefully save the company!
- Faith. Good lord faith and religion are so messy. I was raised as a die-hard conservative Christian my entire life. A couple of years ago my faith collapsed and now I’m sifting through the wreckage as a reformed, left-wing, liberal, almost atheist, crystal-loving, hanging-by-a-thread christian. I know some of you are here with me. And it’s ok. WE are ok. We aren’t lost and we don’t need to be fixed.
- Social Justice. Here comes that activism stuff again. My number one passion in life is fighting for other people. If you hurt me I’ll be upset, if you hurt someone else I will be enraged. I’ve always stuck up for the underdog, the voiceless, the weak and the oppressed. I have been given too many resources as an American to sit idly by and ignore what’s going on around me. I work with some amazing organizations (and happen to own a social enterprise that gives back), so I have the feeling this will be the majority of my conversations on here.
- Minimalism. Or my sad attempt at becoming a minimalist. I love all the things. I have a serious addiction to the thrift store so I justify all of my stuff because it was “cheap”. But It adds stress to my life and my kids are too spoiled. So now I’m the crazy mother who flips out anytime they ask for anything and we have random purging nights after I step on one toy too many. By the end of this year I hope to be rid of anything I don’t need or use. I need you guys to hold me accountable, because being a minimalist is HARD. I just spent $12 on a disco ball last week.
- Motherhood. I loathe mommy blogs with every fiber of my being. Detest, hate, despise… you get the point. They are the worst. I don’t need another mom to tell me how to parent, or why my kids should only eat gluten free, vegan, organic, dairy free, nut free, taste free food. We’re good with Mcdonalds and Pizza Hut once a week. I consider myself the anti-mom. I love my kids so much it hurts but I do NOT need to talk about them every free second I have. On occasion I might bring up parenting, but let’s be real – kids are mouthy little assholes half the time and mothers need breaks and lots of wine and safe places to say swear words and to eat without kids stealing their food and to go to the bathroom ALONE!
- Feminism. Not “angry man-hating” feminism, but the “we deserve equal rights and husbands need to stop treating their wives like objects” feminism.
- Fitness. … Still testing the waters on this one. I NEED fitness. But I don’t do it. So maybe I’ll surprise everyone and finally do those squats I’ve been promising for years.
- Support. I have so many talented friends and I want to show them off! I will use this as a chance to showcase other entrepreneurs, creatives, bloggers, etc.
- Adventure. This goes along with my newfound minimalism. Instead of spending money on things, I want to travel more with and without the kids. I want to hike, kayak, camp, and enjoy this wonderful earth. I’ll try to get better about photographing my new adventures.
- Self-love. This is super important and why I feel encouraged to write this blog, even if no one reads it. As a christian (in my experience), I was taught a lot of harmful doctrine – including this never ending feeling of guilt, shame, self loathing and punishment. I had to suppress certain parts of my personality for years to fill everyone else’s expectations. I can’t do that anymore. It led me to rock bottom and I’ve clawed my way out and am ready to live freely as myself. I take the time I need to enjoy life now. I light candles, I read books, I listen to music, I take baths, I travel, etc. For as long as I can remember I was overworked, overextended and never thought about myself. Now I’m happier and my kids are happier – and it’s glorious.
My life and career are all over the place and this blog will be a representation of that. If I can encourage anyone who is going through a hard time, raise more awareness to social issues, make some friends and give myself this creative outlet… then I will have succeeded with this blog.